DatabaseArticlesKeywords

The Town of Zvolen

Category

*  Export  ›  Self-government  ›  Cities and Towns
*  Authority, Institutions  ›  Self-government  ›  Banska Bystrica Region - Cities and Towns, Village
*  Tourism  ›  Travel and holiday  ›  Holidays in Slovakia
*  Tourism  ›  Travel and holiday  ›  Museum sites
*  Tourism  ›  Regions and cities  ›  Cities

Keywords

Cities, city offices Banska Bystrica regionCities, townsDistricts, district townMonuments

Basic information

logotype

The Town of Zvolen

Self-government, municipal office

Námestie slobody 22
960 01 Zvolen
Slovakia
Phone: +421 45 5303 111
Phone: +421 45 5330 006
Phone: +421 45 5303 212
Phone: +421 45 5303 216;5303 231
Phone: +421 45 5303 232
Phone: +421 45 5303 219
Fax: +421 45 5331 428
E-mail: mesto@zvolen.sk
Web: www.zvolen.sk

ID: 00320439
VAT / Tax ID: 2021339430

Contact person

Dipl. Ing. Lenka Balkovičová - mayor

Town of Zvolen

Zvolen is one of the oldest towns in Slovakia. Owing to its advantageous geographical position and favourable natural conditions its area situated at the confluence of the Hron and the Slatina rivers in the southwest part of the picturesque Zvolenská kotlina valley basin was settled already in prehistoric times. In the Middle Ages it was crossed by the significant long-distance route that brought an important trade function to the original settlement of farmers and craftsmen, which created conditions for establishment and development of the future town. The significance of the settlement was confirmed by the privileges granted by the ruler Belo IV already around the year 1238. After the Tartar invasion he renewed its privileges on 28th December 1243 and so the settlement was upgraded to the category of royal towns for good. Nowadays the distinguished past of the town and especially frequent royal stays in the Middle Ages can be traced in its most important historical dominant sites – Zvolenský zámok (Zvolen Castle) and Pustý hrad (the Deserted Castle).

The central place of the town is Námestie SNP (Square of the Slovak National Uprising) with the pedestrian precinct which, with its area, belongs to the largest ones in Central Europe. It was formed from the former marketplace at the long-distance trade route along which were placed houses and buildings of commercial, religious and administrative character. It is dominated by the Gothic Roman Catholic parish St. Elizabeth Church from the 14th century. According to research, however, its beginnings should be looked for already in 13th century. In the past the church used to be not only a religious centre but also the centre of the town authorities. Another dominant sight of the square is the Evangelical Holy Trinity Church formed by gradual reconstruction of a burgher´s house. The last so-called Neogothic reconstruction was carried out in the 1920´s. The square is rimmed by historical burgher´s houses along both its sides.

The former royal town of Zvolen has gradually changed its exterior and at present it is a modern, fast growing and developing town. It is an administrative, economic, cultural and social centre of the region and the seat of several institutions of the public and state administration.

In the town and its surroundings there are great possibilities for relaxation, cultural and sports events provided by many significant cultural institutions and centres of summer and winter recreation. Zvolen is also a seat of the Theatre of Jozef Gregor Tajovský. It is possible to choose from the offer of exhibitions and permanent displays of the Museum of Forestry and Wood Sciences and Technology and the Slovak National Gallery at Zvolen Castle all year around. Cultural events for the public are offered all the year round also by the Podpolianske osvetové stredisko (Centre of Culture and Education), Krajská knižnica Ľudovíta Štúra (Regional Library of Ľudovít Štúr) and Dom kultúry Železníc Slovenskej republiky (Centre of Culture of Railways of the Slovak Republic).

In the territory of the town are found not only several significant cultural monuments, but also valuable communities of fauna and flora and unique natural formations. The large collection of coniferous and deciduous woody species, roses and succulent plants is concentrated in the area of Borová Hora Arboretum. Zvolen and its surroundings are also known for great concentration of mineral springs and in the proximity are situated popular spas of Sliač and Kováčová.

Contact:

Town of Zvolen
Municipality of town Zvolen
Námestie slobody 22, 960 01 Zvolen
Phone.: +421–45–530 31 11
Fax: +421–45–533 14 28
e-mail: mesto@zvolen.sk
web: www.zvolen.sk

Tourist Information Centre
Námestie SNP 21/31, 960 01 Zvolen
Phone.: +421–45–54 29 268
e-mail: ic@zvolen.sk
web: www.zvolen.sk

Published: 24. 3. 2015

 

Locality

Place on the map

Gallery

SNP Square
SNP Square
The Deserted Castle
The Deserted Castle
The Deserted Castle
The Deserted Castle
Evangelical Holy Trinity Church
Evangelical Holy Trinity Church
Roman Catholic St. Elizabeth Church
Roman Catholic St. Elizabeth Church
SNP Square
SNP Square
SNP Square
SNP Square
Zvolen Castle
Zvolen Castle

Presentation in the Yearbook

Presentation of the publication SLOVAKIA 2019
Presentation of the publication SLOVAKIA 2019
Presentation of the publication SLOVAKIA 2018
Presentation of the publication SLOVAKIA 2018
Presentation of the publication Slovakia 2015
Presentation of the publication Slovakia 2015
Presentation of the publication Slovakia 2014
Presentation of the publication Slovakia 2014
Presentation of the publication Slovakia 2012
Presentation of the publication Slovakia 2012
 

Company Details The Town of Zvolen verified: 18. 3. 2019
Internet Complete Entry. Published 10. 3. 2018

 
 
INFOMA REALITY

PREDAJ / KÚPA / PRENÁJOM / NEHNUTEĽNOSTI

© 2005 - 2019 INFOMA Business Trading, spol. s r.o.     Development and Design by infomatim - Grafické štúdio, vydavateľstvo, reklamné a darčekové predmety